I was interested to find out what are the best earplugs for sleeping to use that help to block out noise for me to review.
Sounds from a noisy neighbour next door, loud music from inside the house, or noises coming form the street can disturb your sleep or napping.
So I went out researching online for what are the highest rated & most recommended earplug products and brands available to buy online.
- Mack’s Ear Care Ultra Soft Foam Earplugs – Best Overall Option for Sleeping
- Decibullz Custom Molded Earplugs – Best Option for Odd Shaped Ears
- Ohropax Wax Ear Plugs – Best Natural Materials Option
- ISOLATE Solid Aluminium Ear Plugs – Best Option For Multipurpose Usage
- Eargasm High Fidelity Earplugs – Best Option for Small Ears
- Flents Ear Plugs for Flying – Best for Travel
- QuietOn Sleep Earbuds – Best for Noise Cancelling
Table of Contents
- The Best Earplugs for Sleep in 2020
- 1. Best Disposable Earplugs: Mack’s Ear Care Ultra Soft Foam Earplugs
- 2. Best Custom Fit Earplugs: Decibullz Custom Molded Earplugs
- 3. Best Wax Earplugs: Ohropax Wax Ear Plugs
- 4. Best Noise Reduction Earplugs: ISOLATE Solid Aluminium Ear Plugs
- 5. Best for Small Ears: Eargasm High Fidelity Earplugs
- 6. Best for Travel: Flents Ear Plugs for Flying
- 7. Best for Noise Cancelling: QuietOn Sleep Earbuds
The Best Earplugs for Sleep in 2020
Here is the list of good earplugs to help block out noise for you to quickly compare.
1. Best Disposable Earplugs: Mack’s Ear Care Ultra Soft Foam Earplugs
- Ergonomically shaped for safe and comfortable noise blockage
- Remains in place for the entire night
- More cost effective than brands of similar performance
- Wearing these earplugs for the first time might be a snug fit
- Breaks down considerably over time
- Can be a little large for most ears
- Might be a little too soft for some people’s tastes
The Mack’s Ear Care Ultra Soft Foam Earplugs are made of comfortable foam that slowly releases to fill the ear canal completely. They offer one of the lowest-pressure foam available and are fully skinned and tapered, which means they can snuggly fit into almost any ear.
Since they are soft, they are not likely to cause pain to the ear canal as they expand and are a good option for side sleepers.
Mack’s earplugs offer some of the highest noise reduction at 32 decibels.
For people who have large ear canals, these ear plugs could be a great fit. At the same time, they do not shut out all noise completely, which is great for in case of emergencies.
2. Best Custom Fit Earplugs: Decibullz Custom Molded Earplugs
- Can be remolded as needed
- Multiple flange tips for adjustable comfort
- One pair of foam tips for softer fits
- Small in size
- Thermoplastic can be rather thin in comparison to similar products
- Provides a tight fit that might be too fight
- Thermoplastic can be hard to shape, even when heated
The Decibullz custom fit earplugs product is the option to go for to make custom molded earplugs for sleep.
These earplugs can mold to the shape of the ear canal in a short timeframe, and the company claims pain should not be an issue. At the same time, they stay in for the night, which means avoiding the need to hunt them down in the morning.
These earplugs can be shaped by applying heat to their outer surface by placing them in boiling water. After they have a moment to cool, they can then be inserted into the ear canal for shaping to take place. If a comfortable fit is not found the first time, then the heating process can be repeated to try again.
The package comes with two custom molds, three sets of the triple flange tips, and one set of foam tips. Also, a carrying pouch is provided. Because of their unique shape, these earplugs can reduce noise by 31 decibels.
3. Best Wax Earplugs: Ohropax Wax Ear Plugs
- Can fit multiple ear sizes and good for side-sleepers
- Avoids possible allergens from foam earplugs
- Softens for better wear over time
- They are on-ear plugs mean they won’t irritate your ear canal
- Comes from Germany, and instructions on the box are in German
- Some people don’t like how they can leave a waxy residue feel after wearing
- Might be hard for some to get them to fit well
The Ohropax earplugs consist of a soft, waxy material that is covered in cotton.
They can be molded to the inner ear within a few moments. As an extra bonus, they also prevent water from seeping into the ear canal.
As long as they are kept clean and maintain their texture, they can last for months. One way to keep them clean is by placing them back into the storage container they came in. There are concerns about whether or not bacteria can grow on them and contaminate other pairs in the pack, though. Even though they can be reused, a chance exists that they will shrink over time. Hence, they might not fit the same way between wears.
Additionally, they will reduce loud sounds, but they will not completely block noise out. This arrangement is perfect in case of emergencies at night. Sometimes, cotton can be left behind in the ear canal after these earplugs are worn, but it can be easily wiped away with a damp cloth.
4. Best Noise Reduction Earplugs: ISOLATE Solid Aluminium Ear Plugs
- A cheaper alternative to the titanium, PRO model
- The different EARFOAM sizes make for an easy fit
- The better the fit, the more noise they will cancel out
- Can make ears tender after long periods of use
- Decibel reduction count unknown
- Considered a fancier version of basic, foam earplugs
- Cannot be remolded, but comes with three sizes
The Isolate earplugs are made of aluminium for maximum sound reduction. It even can block bass frequencies that other earplugs might let through into the ear canal.
Sounds can still be heard through bone conduction, meaning that not all sounds will be blocked out in the case of an emergency. For the sake of finding them easily if they fall out during the night, they come in many bright colors.
There are three EARFOAM tips that come with these earplugs, ranging from small to large. Small tips measure 11 mm, the medium ones measure 13 mm, and the large ones measure 14 mm. Replacement tips can be purchased through the manufacturer.
Also, this set comes with a mesh storage and carrying pouch meant for keeping track of them during the day. These are ideal for back sleepers.
5. Best for Small Ears: Eargasm High Fidelity Earplugs
- Made of a soft material that fits inside almost any ear
- Maintain a softer, full spectrum of sound
- Low profile design for discreet wearing
- Can be cleaned for re-wearing with water and non-abrasive chemicals
- Only provides 12-decibel reduction
- Two sizes to pick from, which means people in between sizes might not find a proper fit
- Silicone can be too rigid in comparison to foam earplugs
The Eargasm earplugs put a stop to harmful noise, meaning that hearing loss can easily be prevented.
These earplugs provide a muffled sound experience, which is great for sleep because it means being woken up during extreme emergencies, such as if a fire alarm sounds. Two pairs come in this package, one for smaller ear canals and the other for larger ear canals. Hence, finding a proper fit is relatively easy.
They have an elongated pull tab that makes removing these earplugs quite easy. Eargasm claims their pull tab is longer than those found on other brands. At the same time, they are made of a non-toxic silicone that is also hypoallergenic.
They come with a storage case, which is designed to minimize space. Part of the storage container design lays the anti-slick interior, which means removing earplugs from the case is easy. Additionally, they will not slide around the case, which limits wear and tear. The case is waterproof, too. This feature means bacteria do not have the chance to grow inside of the carry case.
6. Best for Travel: Flents Ear Plugs for Flying
Flents earplugs are made of silicone and are said to be designed designed to alleviate ear pain caused by change in altitude like when taking off or landing on a flight. They come with a handy carry case which makes them easy to fit when backpacking. These are an economical since they can be reused multiple times and are easy to clean.
7. Best for Noise Cancelling: QuietOn Sleep Earbuds
The QuietOn Sleep Earbuds are marketed as the smallest active noise cancelling device for sleeping. They emit no Bluetooth as they don’t connect to an app on your phone, which makes them simple to use. The battery life is around 20 hours and is charged using a USB charge cable. They come with 3 sets of eartips small, medium and large. I’d use these when on a plane or if had a parter who snored heavily.