We were interested to find out what are some of the best meditation cushions and pillows available to use for us to review.
- YogaAccessories Round Cotton Zafu Meditation Cushion
- myZENhome Organic Kapok Filled Dhyana Meditation Cushion
- Bean Products Zafu and Zabuton Meditation Set
- REEHUT Zafu Organic Buckwheat Yoga Meditation Bolster Cushion
- Brentwood Home Crystal Cove Meditation Cushion
- Mobile Meditator Inflatable Meditation Cushion
- Gaiam Zabuton Meditation Cushion
Using a good meditation cushion can help beginners and experienced meditators be able to comfortably enhance their mindfulness or meditation practice.
We went researching online for what are some of the top rated & most recommended brands who make meditation cushion products that are available to buy online.
Table of Contents
- The Best Meditation Cushions in 2022
- 1. YogaAccessories Round Cotton Zafu Meditation Cushion
- 2. myZENhome Organic Kapok Filled Dhyana Meditation Cushion
- 3. Bean Products Zafu and Zabuton Meditation Set
- 4. REEHUT Zafu Organic Buckwheat Yoga Meditation Bolster Cushion
- 5. Brentwood Home Crystal Cove Meditation Cushion
- 6. Mobile Meditator Inflatable Meditation Cushion
- 7. Gaiam Zabuton Meditation Cushion
- Yoga Meditation Cushions (Quick Comparison Table)
- Frequently Asked Questions
The Best Meditation Cushions in 2022
Here is the list of recommended meditation cushions we reviewed for you to compare.
1. YogaAccessories Round Cotton Zafu Meditation Cushion
This round cotton Zafu cushion is the perfect addition to any meditation spot. This cushion is colorfully designed with a beautiful lotus flower embroidered in the center. The round design provides maximum comfort for users to sit on for meditation. If the green or lotus are not your favorite design, there are several other design and color options available to choose from. This cushion is soft yet sturdy, with a heavy cotton twill cover to provide maximum protection. The cushion is stuffed with 100% natural cotton and designed to ensure a comfortable seat for all types of users.
- The side zipper makes removing fill easy for cleaning and replacing
- The classic size and shape provide excellent support and comfort
- The design options are excellent
- Some users report not liking the firmness of this cushion
2. myZENhome Organic Kapok Filled Dhyana Meditation Cushion
The organic Kapok filled cushion by myZENhome is an excellent option for active meditators. This pillow is versatile and durable, making it a great option for both indoor and outdoor use. The cushion itself is firm yet comfortable enough to provide adequate support for users. The color options, although limited, are bright and enlightening. The top cushion makes it easier to get into position and remain comfortable throughout the duration. If you want to switch-up, the pillow can be folded back to create a flat surface to lay or sit on.
- Exceptional comfort and lower back support
- Great for indoor and outdoor use
- Adjustable sitting height
- Limited color options to buy
3. Bean Products Zafu and Zabuton Meditation Set
The Zafu and Zabuton meditation set by Bean Products is of exceptional quality. The eco-friendly materials are extremely comfortable and work very well to align the hips and spine for meditation. The pillow cover is machine washable; however, you will need to remove the stuffing during the cleaning process. This set is convenient to carry as it has a zippered opening and a carrying handle along the edge. This stylish set is made in the USA and hand-tufted for a more attractive finish.
- Great color selection available
- Comfortable materials
- Different size and shape options
- Helps create a mediation section in your home quickly
- Some users report the zabuton part feeling very stiff
- Not ideal for travel
4. REEHUT Zafu Organic Buckwheat Yoga Meditation Bolster Cushion
This Zafu cushion by REEHUT is extremely durable. Users are able to easily remove the cushion from inside to wash the exterior case whenever it becomes dirty. This cushion is small enough to carry wherever you go, yet tall enough to ensure a comfortable use every time. This cushion is filled with organic buckwheat and has an organic cotton cover. It has a un-exposed YKK zipper and handle for easy carry. This cushion is excellent for meditation as it comes in three sizes to suit all heights and weights so it can help to align your back and body to reduce muscle strains and ensure maximum comfort during a long or short meditation session.
- High-quality product
- Certified organic materials
- Attached handle for easy carry
- No exposed zipper
- The cushion has three sizing options which can be hard for some to determine which size to buy
5. Brentwood Home Crystal Cove Meditation Cushion
The oval meditation cushion by Bentwood Home is truly divine. This cushion has a wide design that is perfect for all body types. The 6-inch height ensures maximum comfort while aligning the spine so that you can relax better. The materials on this cushion are GOTS certified organic, with an inner liner that securely holds the buckwheat filling. Users can remove or add more buckwheat for a softer, or, more firm seat, plus be able to adjust the height of the cushion. This cushion has a wave stitch design that makes it extremely attractive.
- The wide size ensures a comfortable experience for users of all shapes and sizes
- The cushion has a sturdy handle that is easy to carry
- The design is modern and attractive
- Does not easily contour to the body without removing some of the buckwheat
6. Mobile Meditator Inflatable Meditation Cushion
This mobile meditator cushion is perfect for anyone on the go. This cushion is inflatable, so you can adjust accordingly for maximum comfort. This cushion is ergonomically designed, compact, lightweight, and fully adjustable to create the most enlightening experience you can imagine for meditation. This cushion is designed with two side chambers to provide maximum support to your hips and thighs. The center chamber can be adjusted to ensure optimal pelvic tilt and premium spinal support. This cushion allows users to meditate anywhere, and it is an excellent option for camping, backpacking, or sitting at the beach.
- Excellent option for on the go
- Very easy to use and clean
- Deflate, fold and store in a handbag for convenience
- Extremely comfortable for outdoor use or taking to the office
- Requires inflation, which may be trying on some user’s lungs who struggle to blow air in.
7. Gaiam Zabuton Meditation Cushion
The Gaiam Zabuton meditation cushion is specifically designed with additional cushion for improved comfort and support. This cushion works extremely well for relieving pressure on ankles, knees, and backs and the interior of the cushion is comfortable and body forming. The large size of this cushion is truly desirable, and the rich color options are perfect for anyone trying to add a touch of Zen to their calm place. The Gaiam Zabuton cushion has a microfiber cover that is removable and machine washable so you can keep your cushion looking fresh every day.
- This cushion is an excellent size, perfect for any user
- The filling is adjustable to provide personalized comfort
- Some users report it is not too comfortable to lay on for a long time and can feel lumpy
Yoga Meditation Cushions (Quick Comparison Table)
|YogaAccessories Round Cotton Zafu Meditation Cushion||Cotton twill cover and cotton fill||Circular||15 x 6 inches|
|myZENhome Organic Kapok Filled Dhyana Meditation Cushion||Regular or medium options for adults and small for children||Kapok filling and cotton fabric||Rectangular|
|Bean Products Zafu and Zabuton Meditation Set||Organic cotton and organic buckwheat hulls||Round or oval combination||14-inches or 18-inches|
|REEHUT Zafu Organic Buckwheat Yoga Meditation Bolster Cushion||Organic buckwheat fill with organic cotton/hemp cover||Round||Small, Medium or Large|
|Brentwood Home Crystal Cove Meditation Cushion||Organic cotton cover with buckwheat fill||Oval||18 x 13 x 6 inches|
|Mobile Meditator Inflatable Meditation Cushion||Air Inflatable Chambers||Crescent||18 x 6 x 2 inches|
|Gaiam Zabuton Meditation Cushion||Microfiber Cover, Cotton Batting||Rectangular||36 x 24 x 4 inches|
Frequently Asked Questions
I know you were looking for what are the best options, but here is some more detail as to why we might need a meditation cushion.
What is a Meditation Cushion?
Meditations cushions are pillow-like cushions designed to aid comfort, spinal alignment, and adequate positioning for individuals whilst they meditate. These cushions often include natural materials, have adjustable heights & come in square or round shapes. (ref)
The main benefit of a meditation cushion to allow comfortable long periods of practice. A good, supportive cushion helps ensure proper blood flow to the legs to prevent pins and needles, or aches during long periods of sitting.
Zafus vs Zabutons Cushions
Zafus and Zabutons are by far the two most common traditional styles of meditation cushions. These two cushions offer unique positioning, but each provides a different set of benefits for the user.
The Zafu cushion is typically a round, elevated cushion. These are generally viewed as pillow shaped cushions that lift your pelvis off the ground during meditation. Zafus are typically used on top of something, like a zabuton or a yoga mat. These small rounded cushions help elevate a meditator off the floor. This helps those who struggle sitting on the floor due to lower back, hip or knee stiffness and pain.
The Zabutons are flatter and larger type cushions. These are not typically as elevated as Zafus, and are more mat like supports. They should provide a comfortable and stable base for meditation. Individuals often use Zafus on top of Zabutons for additional support and comfort. These help provide relief from sitting on a hard floor surface allowing better meditative focus. (ref)
V-Shape Yoga Cushion vs Zen Shaped Yoga Cushion
Yoga cushions can come in different shapes, each offering different benefits to users. Two common shapes for yoga cushions are the V-shape, or, the Zen shaped cushion.
The V-shaped cushions provide additional support to the thighs as well as the pelvis. This is especially important for relieving pressure on these sensitive areas. V-shaped cushions are an excellent option for individuals with knee or lower-back issues and individuals flexible for crossed-leg sitting. (ref)
The Zen shaped yoga pillow offers a higher elevation of support for users. This cushion is excellent for individuals who have difficulties sitting on the floor or those with stiff hips. The rectangular shape of the pillow provides more stability, especially for taller individuals. (ref)
How to Choose Which Type of Meditation Cushion is Best for You
With the number of product types out there for meditation, choosing the proper one for you may seem challenging.
The ideal positioning for meditation offers three beneficial characteristics to users, which are: (ref)
- The ability to remain stable,
- Feel comfortable,
- Stay straight.
There are also several posture types, including:
- The Full Lotus
- The Half Lotus
- The Burmese
- Stool seating
- Chair seating
For each posture type, there are particular cushions that make the posture easier to practice in which are:
- Yoga Posture: if you perform the half-lotus position you will need a lower cushion like the Zabuton or a v-shaped cushion.
- Burmese: individuals who practice this posture benefit most from using a Zafu or a bolster cushion.
- Kneeling: meditation stools and Zafus work best for individuals kneeling and those who are not too flexible.
- Sitting: sitting on a higher cushion or a chair are the best options for individuals using this posture.
What Are Some Meditation Positions for Beginners?
Regardless of the type of meditation posture you choose, each one requires you to partake in general principles for accurate positioning, which include:
- Pulling your chin back while stretching your head upward toward the ceiling
- Keeping your mouth closed with the tongue rested gently against the palate
- Keep your shoulders relaxed to improve breathing techniques
- Keep the pelvic positioned to prevent arching of the spine