The best melatonin supplement brand are:
- Life Extension Melatonin IR/XR Time Released Tablets – Good Gradual Release Dose Option
- Zarbee’s Naturals Children’s Sleep with Melatonin Supplement – Good Melatonin Gummies for Children or Adults Option
- Swanson Ultra Dual-Release Melatonin Supplement
- Driftoff Natural Sleep Aid Melatonin Supplement – Best Herbal Sleep Remedy Option
- Nature Made Melatonin Tablets
- Puritan’s Pride Super Strength Melatonin Supplement – Best Extra Strength Melatonin Option
We were interested to find out what are some of the best melatonin supplements to use to help aid better sleep for Us to review.
Using a good melatonin supplement can help adjust your body clock (circadian rhythm) and act as a natural sleep aid to help you fall asleep when you are struggling to get good sleep.
We went researching online for what are the top rated & most recommended brands who make melatonin supplements that are available to buy online.
Table of Contents
- The Best Melatonin Supplements in 2022
- Frequently Asked Questions
The Best Melatonin Supplements in 2022
Here is the list of recommended melatonin supplements we reviewed for you to compare.
1. Life Extension Melatonin IR/XR Time Released Tablets
The Life Extension Melatonin IR/XR Tablets contain 1.5 mg of melatonin.
This might sound like a low dose, but it is not, as the original melatonin research findings by Dr Richard Wurtman give a recommended dosage of 300 mcg to help promote restful sleep. This makes them my highest rated brand for following his research. (ref)
These melatonin tablets are made to be released at gradually over a six hour time period throughout the night to help you stay asleep & get a full night’s rest.
What they are designed to do is to help make you gently feel sleepy so you can easily drift-off to sleep faster.
They do this by helping you change your sleep-wake cycle so that your body can help regulate your master 24-hour body clock that tells us when it’s time to sleep at night, and when it’s time to wake up in the morning.
They also offer a full one year return policy on their products.
- Small, easy to swallow tablets
- Great choice for those just starting on melatonin since they are such a low dose
- The timed-release tablets can help those who may be able to fall asleep, but who find themselves waking up throughout the night
- Not habit forming
- Don’t buy these if you are looking for a high dose
- There are other ingredients listed on the nutritional label, the most out of the options.
2. Zarbee’s Naturals Children’s Sleep with Melatonin
The Zarbee’s Naturals Melatonin Gummies contains 1 mg of melatonin.
These are marketed mainly to parents looking for a melatonin supplement for children. However, adults who struggle to swallow pills, tablets and capsules should look at chewing gummies instead.
Studies have shown it is safe to give children melatonin to help them sleep, but other sleep hygiene tips should be used as well. (ref)
The good thing is they are drug-free & alcohol-free which is means they are safe for kids to take.
The Zarbee’s Naturals brand specialize in making safe, chemical-free products for both children and adults. It was founded by paediatrician Dr. Zak Zarbock. They state that their product line-up is free from drugs, alcohol, gluten, or artificial flavors, sweeteners, and dyes whenever possible.
In each melatonin gummy is 2g of carbohydrates. Just mentioning this if you are on a strict keto or low carb diet then just be aware of the minimal sugar found in this product.
- Convenient and perfect for anyone with a phobia for pills
- Great choice for mums wanting a natural sleep remedy for children
- Contains no alcohol, drugs, high-fructose corn syrup, artificial sweeteners or flavourings.
- Not habit forming
- Don’t buy these if you are looking for a strong dose
- If you don’t like a mixed berry flavor might not be for you
- Adults on a strict low carb diet be aware you’ll get 6g of carbs from a serving
3. Swanson Ultra Dual-Release Melatonin
The Swanson Ultra Dual-Release Melatonin Tablets contain 3 mg of melatonin.
The brand makes different strength version of their melatonin supplement, but is the dual-release version that makes them unique to the other brand options mentioned.
The way the say they have it designed these to work is to mimic what our bodies do.
The dual-release tablet first by releases an initial 1.5 mg of liquid melatonin. This is meant to help get you into sleep mode.
Then another 1.5 mg is gradually released over the next 5-8 hours to help stay asleep and get a full nights rest of 6-8 hours.
Reading some of the customer feedback and reviews you get a sense that some people respond better taking a timed release supplement vs high potency one that releases all in one go. As with everything in life we are all n=1 experiments; you might need to test this out to see what works best for you.
- Similar to the Life Extension option, but designed to give two stage release of ingredients
- Great choice for people already trying melatonin supplement and not finding them effective because they are too weak or too strong
- Not habit forming
- Don’t buy these if you are looking for a super strong dose
- Some people might not respond as well to time released feature
4. Driftoff Natural Sleep Aid
The Driftoff Natural Sleep Aid from Zhou Nutrition contains 2 mg of melatonin.
The bottle promises to help you – “sleep well, wake refreshed!”
What makes Driftoff formulation unique for me, compared to my other melatonin reviews, is that it also contains herbs that help you relax your mind and drift off into.
This includes valerian extract, GABA, tryptophan (the stuff in turkey that makes you sleepy), chamomile extract, passion flower extract, lemon balm extract & hops extract (flower).
That means it can help you calm your mind, relieve restlessness, wake up with feeling rested and ready to take on your day.
The Driftoff Sleep Aid capsules are: vegetarian & completely free of gluten, soy, milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, preservatives, animal products or derivatives. It also contains cellulose, rice flour, and vegetable magnesium stearate. So anyone with typical food allergies should be safe.
The Driftoff Natural Sleep Aid is made by Zhou Nutrition; who say they believe in reconnecting with the way that nature intended us to live.
Their site proudly announces that they manufacture all of their products in the USA. Their manufacturers all operate FDA registered and inspected facilities, which are all subject to following strict GMP standards. (ref)
- Ideal for vegetarians, gluten-free diets, and other common food sensitivities
- Veggie cellulose capsules are easier to swallow than uncoated tablets
- Manufactured in the USA under the supervision of FDA regulations
- Helps you relax without the drugged feeling when you wake up
- All-natural herbal sleep aid
- Made in the USA
- Contains vegetable magnesium stearate, which is not as easily absorbed by the body
- Those who have trouble swallowing pills may have trouble with the capsule
- May have limited effectiveness for some users
5. Nature Made Melatonin Tablets
The Nature Made Melatonin Tablets contain 3 mg of melatonin.
The recommended serving size is one tablet, 30 minutes before bedtime.
What is interesting to read in some of the online reviews is how some pet owners use this as a melatonin supplement for their dogs. If you do this then I read that veterinarians recommend giving 3 mg of melatonin twice a day for dogs under 30 lb (14 kg) and 6 mg of melatonin twice a day for dogs over 30 lb (14 kg) to help reduce cortisol.
This particular option has no artificial colors, artificial flavors, preservatives, yeast or gluten.
Nature Made’s bottle does warn to see your physician if you have any chronic diseases or are taking any medications. Better safe than sorry. Also that this option is not suitable for children.
The Nature Made Melatonin Tablets are made by Nature Made; one of the most recognizable health and wellness brands on the market today.
They’ve been around for over 45 years and have a full line of vitamins and supplements that have been approved and verified by the United States Pharmacopeia.
- Each 3 mg tablet is small enough to be swallowed easily
- Verified by United States Pharmacopeia, so it has higher standards for manufacturing and quality
- Only one tablet is needed per day
- For those with allergies and gluten intolerance, Nature Made is free of many ingredients that can trigger reactions
- Can help promote sleep and relaxation
- Label indicates amount of melatonin and other ingredients
- This option contains magnesium stearate, which is not absorbed as easily by the body
- Since it’s a low dose, those used to taking melatonin may need to take more than one once they get the ok from their doctor
6. Puritan’s Pride Super Strength Melatonin
The Puritan Pride Super Strength Melatonin contains 10 mg of melatonin. This is the strongest and highest dose melatonin product reviewed.
It is rated as the number 1 melatonin by independent study group, Labdoor.
Other ingredients listed are rice flour, gelatin and less than 2% of silica and vegetable magnesium stearate. The recommended daily dose is one rapid release capsule.
The Puritan’s Pride Super Strength Melatonin is from the company Puritan’s Pride; who has been creating quality wellness products for over 40 years.
Across all of their US facilities, they produce over 1200 vitamins, minerals, plus other types of supplements. To work with them, suppliers must meet high quality standards, including GMP. (ref)
- Only one capsule needed before bedtime
- Rapid release technology theoretically helps you to feel the effects of the supplement faster than traditional supplements
- For those already used to melatonin, the higher does may work better for them
- No artificial color, flavor, sweetener, preservatives, sugar, starch, milk, lactose, soy, gluten, wheat, yeast, fish or sodium.
- May also help with blood pressure to support restful sleep
- Made in the USA in facilities following strict GMP standards
- Contains silica and vegetable magnesium stearate
- The higher dose of melatonin may disrupt your circadian rhythm instead of regulating it
- Capsules made of gelatin, which may contain animal byproducts
- Too much melatonin may also cause headaches, short-term depression, daytime sleepiness, dizziness, stomach cramps, and irritability
Frequently Asked Questions
What Are the Benefits of Taking Melatonin?
- Natural sleep aid for shift workers (nurses, drivers, factory workers…)
- Help raise declining levels in older people who suffer poor sleep quality (ref)
- Help jet lag (see below timing tip)
- Reduce insomnia (5mg dose taken at 10pm)
- Manage narcolepsy (needed high dose at 50mg!)
- Help Autism in children (ref)
- Help strengthen the immune system (ref)
- Adjuvant treatment for fibromyalgia symptoms (ref)
- Assists in cardiovascular disease with cardioprotective properties (ref)
- Improvement in mood and reduction in depression in perimenopausal & menopausal women (ref)
Who Can Take Melatonin Supplements?
- People who work at night (night-shift workers)
- People who fly across time-zones (travelers)
- People who are completely blind
- Elderly who lose melatonin production and struggle with sleep quality (ref)
What is the Best Time to Take Melatonin?
Take a melatonin supplement 30 minutes before going to sleep, or, when you want your bedtime to be. For preventing jet lag it is best taken at your travel destinations local time of between 10 pm and midnight.
For optimal effect it has been suggested to take it when your body isn’t making any. (ref)
How Often Should You Take Melatonin?
You’ll be taking a melatonin supplement only once per day.
How Much Melatonin Is Safe to Take?
Our bodies usually naturally produce <0.3 mg per day, so it’s recommended to keep your dose low and work with a medical doctor to find what dosage works best for you.
As of yet, there’s no set recommended dose for melatonin supplementation.
That means, it is not clear exactly how much melatonin you can safely use daily.
However, very high doses of melatonin per day are not recommended. This is because it can burn out your natural production within your pineal gland if you take it daily for a long-time (chronic dosage).
Reported adverse side-effects from taking too much Melatonin include:
- None reported
Studies have shown that short-term use even at extreme dosages show no serious side-effect.
Long-term usage looks like maybe only mild side-effects are experienced by some.
However, there is no strong scientific data on using exogenous melatonin in children and adolescents. This is good to know for parents trying to help kids to fall asleep at night. (ref)