When you get yourself a pair of blue light blocking glasses, or blue light filtering software for your computer, like IrisTech, you’ll want to test how effective they are at filtering out the harmful blue light spectrum.
There are very easy ways to test how much blue light your glasses block without needing an expensive spectrometer test.
Below you’ll find two simple ways to test online both your blue light filtering glasses, blue light screen filters or blue light computer filtering software.
Table of Contents
- How to Test Blue Light Filter Glasses
- How to Test Blue Light Filter Software
- Product Recommendations
How to Test Blue Light Filter Glasses
Follow the steps below to test how well your glasses block the blue color spectrum.
1. Look at the RGB Color Test With No Glasses On
You should see the red, green blue color chart has a dark blue outer ring and light blue inner.
2. Put You’re Blue Light Blocking Glasses On
If you own a pair of 100% blue light blocking glasses, they will have a red tinted lens color. You also get yellow lenses and clear blue light filtering lenses.
3. A Good Result Is If The Blue Center Is Gone
Depending on how what color your lenses are will determine how much blue and green color is filtered from your eyesight on the RGB color chart test.
How to Test Blue Light Filter Software
Follow the steps below to test how well your computer software blocks the blue and green color spectrum. (Images credit: IrisTech)
1. Look At The Flashing Blue and Black Image
Turn your software on and off to be able to see the difference.
2. If You Only See Black, Then Your Software Is Blocking 100% of the Blue from Your Screen
If you still see some blue that means your current software settings are not blocking 100% blue light emitting from your computer or laptop screen.
3. Look at the Flashing Green and Black Image
4. If You Only See Black, Then Your Software Is Blocking 100% of the Green from Your Screen
If you still see some green that means your current software settings are not blocking 100% green light emitting from your computer or laptop screen.
Tip: If you have IrisTech installed then set it to ‘Sleep’ setting to see how it can completely block the green color and all you see is a static black square.
I recommended you use good blue light blocking glasses brands like:
- BLUblox (Use promo code biohackerslab for a discount)
- RaOptics (Use promo code biohackerslab for a discount)
- Swannies (Use promo code biohackerslab for a discount)
I recommended you use good blue light filtering software brands on your macOS or Windows PC like:
I recommend you enable Night Shift mode on your iPhone or iPad iOS and enable Night Mode on your Android phone. You can also see how to turn your iPhone screen red to filter blue light with this tip.
It is easy to be able to see how good your blue light filtering product is working, or not, using the two online tests shared above.
The best lens color to use that blocks 100% blue wavelength of light are red lenses. Amber colored lenses are less effective. Clear lenses with blue light filter coating are very weak.