The 8 best blue light glasses brands that I would wear their glasses are:
We were interested to find out what are some of the best blue light glasses that work for us to review.
I personally enjoy wearing a good pair of lenses that filter out blue light, especially at night. A good pair of blue light glasses not only help reduce the strain on my eyes, but I also want to help protect my melatonin cycle to sleep better.
When we are considering using a pair of blue light blocking glasses we want ones that we can use during the day when working on a computer. Plus, we want a pair that can block all blue wavelength at night.
- For your child, check out the best blue light glasses for children options.
- For older adults, check out the blue light reading glasses options.
- Use this online blue light test to see how much visible blue is being blocked.
We went out researching online for what are the top rated & most recommended brands who make glasses which help block out blue light that are available to buy online.
The Best Blue Light Glasses Brands in 2023
Here is the list of blue light glasses on the market we reviewed for you to compare.
1. BON CHARGE Blue Light Glasses
- Only use lenses designed to block 100% blue and green wavelengths
- Many stylish frame shape designs for both men and women: round, rectangle, wayfarer
- Option to send in your frames to be fitted with prescription lenses
- Option to send in your frames to be fitted with non-prescription lenses
- Option to send in your frames to be fitted with reader diopters
- Different sizing options
- Kids blue light blocking frames available
BON CHARGE (formerly BLUblox) are one of my best overall 100% blue blocking glasses brands. They are comfortable to wear, come in many styles, lens color options and I trust them to filter out blue light. The BLUblox brand offers three blue light filtering lens colors.
This Sleep+ range of red lenses block 100% blue and green light at 400 nm to 550nm wavelengths found in artificial light at night that can disturb your natural sleep cycle.
The SummerGlo yellow/amber lens range block 100% of 400-495 nm wavelengths. Good option for people with migraines, light sensitivity, anxiety and Winter mood change.
The BluLite clear blue light filtering lens range reduces some blue light wavelengths so that you can confidently wear in an office with no one knowing you are wearing special lenses.
The brand prides itself on being willing openly share its lens reports to consumers. I like this transparency so if you want to know exactly the spectrum lens test results you can ask BON CHARGE support to share that with you.
2. Ra Optics Blue Light Glasses
- Multiple stylish frame shape options: round, rectangle
- Trusted day time and night-time lens options
- Different sizing options & colors for men, women and children
- Available as readers and prescription lens option
Ra Optics are one of my highly recommended brands as I trust them to produce lenses that do filter out harmful blue and green wavelengths. I personally like the clear frame Ra Optics Popp frame style. You can buy lenses that have a more light amber lens color for day usage and dark red lens color for 100% protection at night. They are comfortable on the nose, wide enough for my head and the high definition clarity looking through the lens is the same as the BLUblox for me. Listen to founder Matt Maruca explain how he uses Ra Optic frames alongside good chronobiology tips in his Light Diet.
3. Swannies Blue Light Glasses
- Classic frame design that will suit majority of face shapes
- Strong blue blocking dark amber colour
- Different sizing options & colours for men, women and children
- FDA registered glasses
- Endorsed by famous biohackers
- Kids size range of frames
- Frame styling might suit everyone
- Not wrap around lenses so won’t block light from all angles
- Lens colour might be too dark to use during the day, so more suited for evening wear or very bright rooms
Swanwick Sleep are the brand that make the swannies blue light glasses, which are a good stylish option that you can wear both inside during the day at the office and at night when socialising or at home. These particular frames were massively popular at the 2016 Bulletproof conference expo hall. I can’t tell you how many Bulletproof biohackers I saw wearing these. The reason they wore them at the conference was due to the artificial light in the expo hall. What a great biohacking tip to enjoy walking around an artificially lit exhibition hall wearing these to help act as anti-blue light glasses, plus, look stylish.
4. THL SLEEP Blue Light Glasses
- Blocks 99% of blue light and 75% of green light wavelengths
- Lots of options in frame style and colors
- Can buy lens with various reading lens strengths
- Spring hinges on the frames
- Mens and Women’s Frames Available
THL SLEEP is a blue light glasses brand that created by Oskar Eriksson who has a mechanical engineer background. The brand focuses on making blue light glasses for sleep; targeting the melatonin disrupting blue light wavelengths. I could see a lens report on their website showing the amount of light that is filtered out on a scale of between 360 – 760nm. Good selection of lens sizes and frame styles for both men and women.
5. Uvex Skyper Blue Light Glasses
- The cheapest option
- Absorbs 98% blue light away from your eyes
- Can fit over prescription eyeglasses to turn them into blue light blocking reading glasses
- Covers the complete eyeball from top, bottom and sides.
- Three adjustable arm length options
- Replaceable lens system
- Made in the U.S.A
The Uvex S1933X Skyper Safety Eyewear is long-term favorite for many getting an entry level pair of glasses. They are one of the best fit over options if you wear prescription glasses, or use readers. They are one of the original brands available to buy for people looking to protect themselves from the harmful blue light effects of TV’s, cellphones, and indoor lighting.
The problem with the other frames I’ve suggested is they aren’t designed to go over existing prescription eyewear. The Uvex glasses help to solve this problem. However, if you feel they aren’t stylish enough and you want something more fashionable I’d suggest to also take a look at the Swannies and Elements fit over options.
Another issue with the other frames I’ve suggested is that they do not cover the side of the eyes when worn. Benefit of the Uvex Skyper wrapping around your head is that they do block light entering into your peripheral vision field. The UVEX SCT orange lens tint is made to help Computer Vision Syndrome. This for people who are damaging their eyes from computer screen glare. The claim to help improve focus, reduces eye fatigue and help inhibit vision problems, like cataracts and age-related macular degeneration.
6. Elements Active Fitover Blue Light Glasses
- Fit over most size prescription eyeglasses
- Comfortable nose bridge area.
- Light weight
- Blocks 95% of blue light
- Some feel they could be a little bigger for people with larger head sizes
- Some users report the frames cracking or breaking at the nose bridge
I recommend these as a good option as fitovers for people who need to wear prescription glasses. The Elements Active Fitover Glasses are good option if you wear Rx prescription lenses, or need to use readers. They should help reduce eye strain or fatigue and still look stylish when working in a public space like an office.
7. TrueDark Daywalker Elite Blue Light Glasses
- Bulletproof Dave Asprey recommended glasses
- Solid colored lenses are used rather than color tint over clear lenses
- Lightweight aluminum frames
- Polarized lenses
- Designed to filter out artificial blue light from devices and room lights during the day
- Some people feel the rectangle lenses are too wide for them
The TrueDark Daywalker glasses are endorsed by Bulletproof founder Dave Asprey. The TrueDark brand made by the Biohacked are his recommended blue light protection glasses. These are great option if you want to wear the same frames and lenses that Dave Asprey does during the day. They come in two styles of frames, classic & elite. I personally like the look of the rectangle shaped frame Daywalker Elite over the Daywalker Classic oval shaped classic lenses.
8. TrueDark Twilight Classic Blue Light Glasses
- Designed to block maximum amount of blue light option
- Comes with prescription lenses insert option (requires optometrist to create Rx lenses for insert)
- Made to wear 1-2 hours before bed to help aid sleep
- Use on night-time flights to help sleep on a plane
- Covers the complete eyeball from top, bottom and sides.
- Endorsed by Dave Asprey
- The sport design might not be for everyone
- The dark red tint lenses make it harder to see at night
- Not advised to be used when driving
The TrueDark Twilight Classic Glasses is one of the original options made by the Biohacked company. These are great option if you want to wear the same pair of glasses that Dave Asprey does during the night or want a pair of red lens blue light blocking glasses for sleep. These dark red lens are designed to help promote sleep by preventing melanopsin activation which causes melatonin suppression, and physiological stress They also come in two styles of frames, classic & elite. If you are going out in public then the rectangle shaped frame Twilight Elite frames are much better looking over the Twilight Classic oval shaped classic lenses.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Are Blue Light Blocking Glasses?
Blue light blocking glasses are lenses that filter out the blue and green wavelength color spectrum from both artificial and natural light. People wear these glasses when looking at screens or under artificial light, especially at night, to help protect their eye health and to not disturb their sleep cycle.
When to Put on Blue Light Filtering Glasses?
You should start wearing blue light blocking glasses 1-2 hours before you know you when you want to go to sleep. This is how people use these types of sleep glasses to help maintain a healthy circadian rhythm.
Type of Lens Colors Available
- Red Lenses
- Amber/Yellow Lenses
- Clear Lenses
Do Blue Light Glasses Work?
Yes, according to a study in the Journal of Adolescent Health blue blocking lenses significantly reduced the negative effect of LED light induced melatonin suppression in the evening compared to clear lenses.
What Are the Benefits of Blue Light Blocking Glasses?
Here are some links to research looking at possible benefits of blocking blue light:
Related Products to Buy
- Earplugs for sleeping
- Blackout Eye mask for sleeping
- Melatonin supplement
- Iris Tech blue light filter software for computers