I was interested to find out what are some best blue light glasses available to use for me to review.
The best blue light blocking glasses are:
- RaOptics Glasses – Trusted Brand for Daytime and Nighttime Range
- BLUBlox Glasses – Good 100% Blocking Glasses for Nighttime
- Swannies Glasses – Good Stylish Glasses Option
- Uvex Skyper Glasses – Good Budget Friendly Option
- Duco Computer Glasses – Budget Friendly Gamer Glasses Option
- Elements Active Fitover Glasses – Good for Wearing Over Glasses
- TrueDark Daywalker Elite Glasses – Best Option for Bulletproof Fans to Use During the Day
- TrueDark Twilight Classic Glasses – Good Option for Bulletproof Fans To Help Sleep
Wearing a good pair of lenses that filter out blue light, especially at night, is probably one of the simplest sleep improvement tips that anyone, at any age can do.
When I’m considering using a pair of blue light blocking glasses I want ones that I can use during the day when working on a computer. Plus, I want a pair that can block all blue wavelength at night.
For your child, check out the best blue light glasses for children options.
So I went out researching online, and tested some of them myself, for what are the top rated & most recommended brands who make glasses which help block out blue light that are available to buy online.
Table of Contents
- The Best Blue Light Glasses in 2020
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Related Products to Buy
The Best Blue Light Glasses in 2020
1. RaOptics Glasses
- Multiple stylish frame shape options: round, rectangle
- Trusted day time and night-time lens options
- Different sizing options & colors for men, women and children
- Endorsed by Dr Jack Kruse
- Available as readers and prescription lens option
The RaOptics are one of my highly recommended brands as I trust them to produce lenses that do filter out harmful blue and green wavelengths.
I love the clear frame RaOptics Popp style, which can have a more light amber lens color for day usage and dark red lens color for 100% protection at night.
Listen to founder Matt Maruca explain how he uses RaOptic frames alongside good chronobiology tips in his Light Diet.
They are comfortable on the nose, wide enough for my head and the high definition clarity looking through the lens is the same as the BluBlox for me.
2. BLUblox Glasses
- Only use lenses designed to block 100% blue and green wavelengths
- Many stylish frame shape designs for both men and women: round, rectangle, wayfarer
- Option to send in your frames to be fitted with prescription lenses
- Option to send in your frames to be fitted with non-prescription lenses
- Option to send in your frames to be fitted with reader diopters
- Different sizing options
- Kids blue light blocking frames available
BLUblox are one of my best overall 100% blue blocking glasses brands.
They are comfortable to wear, come in many styles, lens color options and I trust them to filter out blue light.
The BLUblox brand offers three blue light filtering lens colors.
This Sleep+ range of red lenses block 100% blue and green light at 400 nm to 550nm wavelengths found in artificial light at night that can disturb your natural sleep cycle.
The SummerGlo yellow/amber lens range block 100% of 400-495 nm wavelengths. Good option for people with migraines, light sensitivity, anxiety and Winter mood change.
The BluLite clear blue light filtering lens range reduces some blue light wavelengths so that you can confidently wear in an office with no one knowing you are wearing special lenses.
The brand prides itself on being willing openly share its lens reports to consumers. I like this transparency so if you want to know exactly the spectrum lens test results you can ask BLUblox support to share that with you.
3. Swannies Glasses
- Classic frame design that will suit majority of face shapes
- Strong blue blocking dark amber colour
- Different sizing options & colours for men, women and children
- FDA registered glasses
- Endorsed by famous biohackers
- Kids size range of frames
- Frame styling might suit everyone
- Not wrap around lenses so won’t block light from all angles
- Lens colour might be too dark to use during the day, so more suited for evening wear or very bright rooms
The Swannies are a good stylish option that you can wear inside during the day at the office and at night.
The Swannies are made by Swannick Sleep founder, James Swannick.
These particular frames were massively popular at the 2016 Bulletproof conference expo hall. I can’t tell you how many Bulletproof biohackers I saw wearing these.
The reason they wore them at the conference was due to the artificial light in the expo hall. What a great biohacking tip to enjoy walking around an artificially lit exhibition hall wearing these to help act as anti-blue light glasses, plus, look stylish.
4. Uvex Skyper Glasses
- The cheapest option
- Absorbs 98% blue light away from your eyes
- Can fit over prescription eyeglasses to turn them into blue light blocking reading glasses
- Covers the complete eyeball from top, bottom and sides.
- Three adjustable arm length options
- Replaceable lens system
- Made in the U.S.A
The Uvex S1933X Skyper Safety Eyewear is long-term favorite for many getting an entry level pair of glasses.
They are one of the best fit over options if you wear prescription glasses, or use readers.
They are one of the original brands available to buy for people looking to protect themselves from the harmful blue light effects of TV’s, cellphones, and indoor lighting.
The problem with the other frames I’ve suggested is they aren’t designed to go over existing prescription eyewear. The Uvex glasses help to solve this problem.
However, if you feel they aren’t stylish enough and you want something more fashionable I’d suggest to also take a look at the Swannies and Elements fit over options.
Another issue with the other frames I’ve suggested is that they do not cover the side of the eyes when worn. Benefit of the Uvex Skyper wrapping around your head is that they do block light entering into your peripheral vision field.
The UVEX SCT orange lens tint is made to help Computer Vision Syndrome. This for people who are damaging their eyes from computer screen glare. The claim to help improve focus, reduces eye fatigue and help inhibit vision problems, like cataracts and age-related macular degeneration.
5. Duco Computer Glasses
- Very lightweight frames
- Perfect for daytime wear at a job
- Arms that bend to feel very comfortable behind your ears
- Classic rectangle rim design
- Made to help prevent common dry, red eyes from computer glare
- Popular with gamers as gaming glasses since it won’t interfere with a headset
- One size only so might not suit if looking for smaller tighter frames
- The light tint Duco’s are not the best for maximum blue filtering. For high protection from blue light at night go with the Duco Pro Amber glasses option
These are a good entry level computer glasses for eye strain. I’d also suggest their darker amber lens option called the Duco Pro Amber Glasses if you need budget gamer blue light blocking glasses.
The Duco Anti-Blue Light Glasses are very comfortable to wear all day when gaming, or in front of a computer screen.
These were my first pair of glasses. I got the light yellow lenses to wear in the office around others. I did find the lens is not the best for clarity compared to others like the RaOptics and Swannies.
What I like about these are that they are so light you hardly feel them on your face.
The bendable arms on make them very comfortable to wear as they adjust to my head width. If you have a wide head (face) and find some frames are too narrow get these as they will bend to your head shape & still feel good.
If you stay up late when gaming you may need the help of a melatonin supplement to also help regulate your body clock.
6. Elements Active Fitover Glasses
- Fit over most size prescription eyeglasses
- Comfortable nose bridge area.
- Light weight
- Blocks 95% of blue light
- Some feel they could be a little bigger for people with larger head sizes
- Some users report the frames cracking or breaking at the nose bridge
I recommend these as a good option as fitovers for people who need to wear prescription glasses.
The Elements Active Fitover Glasses are good option if you wear Rx prescription lenses, or need to use readers.
They should help reduce eye strain or fatigue and still look stylish when working in a public space like an office.
7. TrueDark Daywalker Elite Glasses
- Bulletproof Dave Asprey recommended glasses
- Solid colored lenses are used rather than color tint over clear lenses
- Lightweight aluminum frames
- Polarized lenses
- Designed to filter out artificial blue light from devices and room lights during the day
- Some people feel the rectangle lenses are too wide for them
The TrueDark Daywalker glasses are endorsed by Bulletproof founder Dave Asprey. The TrueDark brand made by the Biohacked are his recommended blue light protection glasses.
These are great option if you want to wear the same frames and lenses that Dave Asprey does during the day.
They come in two styles of frames, classic & elite. I personally like the look of the rectangle shaped frame Daywalker Elite over the Daywalker Classic oval shaped classic lenses.
8. TrueDark Twilight Classic Glasses
- Designed to block maximum amount of blue light option
- Comes with prescription lenses insert option (requires optometrist to create Rx lenses for insert)
- Made to wear 1-2 hours before bed to help aid sleep
- Use on night-time flights to help sleep on a plane
- Covers the complete eyeball from top, bottom and sides.
- Endorsed by Dave Asprey
- The sport design might not be for everyone
- The dark red tint lenses make it harder to see at night
- Not advised to be used when driving
The TrueDark Twilight Classic Glasses is one of the original options made by the Biohacked company.
These are great option if you want to wear the same pair of glasses that Dave Asprey does during the night or want a pair of red lens blue light blocking glasses for sleep.
These dark red lens are designed to help promote sleep by preventing melanopsin activation which causes melatonin suppression, and physiological stress They also come in two styles of frames, classic & elite.
If you are going out in public then the rectangle shaped frame Twilight Elite frames are much better looking over the Twilight Classic oval shaped classic lenses.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Are Blue Light Blocking Glasses?
Blue light blocking glasses are lenses that filter out the blue and green wavelength color spectrum from both artificial and natural light. People wear these glasses when looking at screens or under artificial light, especially at night, to help protect their eye health and to not disturb their sleep cycle.
When to Put on Blue Light Filtering Glasses?
You should start wearing blue light blocking glasses 1-2 hours before you know you when you want to go to sleep. This is how people use these types of sleep glasses to help maintain a healthy circadian rhythm.
Type of Lens Colors Available
Do Blue Light Glasses Work?
Yes, according to a study in the Journal of Adolescent Health blue blocking lenses significantly reduced the negative effect of LED light induced melatonin suppression in the evening compared to clear lenses.
What Are the Benefits of Blue Light Blocking Glasses?
- Prevent disturbed sleep cycle
- Prevent eye strain and fatigue
- Help depression
- Prevent damage to the macula
- Earplugs for sleeping
- Blackout Eye mask for sleeping
- Melatonin supplement
- Iris Tech blue light filter software for computers