We were interested to find out what are some of the best activated charcoal supplements to use for us to review.
The best activated charcoals to use that we found are:
We know some people are looking to use an activated charcoal product to help with detoxing protocols, reducing excess gas, or even helping to whiten their teeth.
We went out researching online for what are some of the top rated & most recommended brands who make activated charcoal products that ar available to buy online.
Table of Contents
- The Best Activated Charcoals in 2020
- 1. Bulletproof Coconut Charcoal Capsules – Good For Food Allergens and Travelling
- 2. Pure Organic Activated Charcoal Capsules – Organic Capsules for Detox
- 3. Active Wow Teeth Whitening Charcoal Powder – Good Charcoal for Teeth Whitening
- 4. Zen Charcoal Hardwood Activated Charcoal Powder – Good Charcoal For Face Masks
- 5. FineVine Activated Charcoal Powder
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Related Products to Buy
The Best Activated Charcoals in 2020
Here is the list of recommended activated charcoals we reviewed for you to compare.
1. Bulletproof Coconut Charcoal Capsules – Good For Food Allergens and Travelling
The Bulletproof Coconut Charcoal capsules are a great option for when you’ve eaten the wrong foods, like gluten. You can also use the detoxing power of activated carbon for allergic reactions, mycotoxins, hangovers (headaches) or abdominal gas or belching. These capsules combine the powerful qualities of activated coconut charcoal in a fine powder form for maximum absorption of unwanted toxins. The highly absorbent quality of activated charcoal works to capture and remove unwanted materials in your body coming from environmental pollution, or processed foods. If you follow the Bulletproof diet then these will be a good addition to your supplement cabinet for when you need them.
- Vegan/Vegetarian friendly
- Soy and gluten free product that is non-GMO
- Use for internal issues like bloating, excess gas, detoxing when unknown foods or drink, mold detox protocol
- Does not have an unpleasant taste to it
- Convenient for travel
- 1000mg per recommended dosage
- No powder only option available
2. Pure Organic Activated Charcoal Capsules – Organic Capsules for Detox
The Pure Organic Activated charcoal vegetarian capsules contain 600mg each. This makes them one of the strongest per capsule option available. They are made only with pure activated charcoal and no artificial ingredients. These capsules are made in the USA from steamed coconut shells and are free from: soy, wheat, gluten, lactose, yeast, and fish. This product is safe for vegetarians and individuals with certain food sensitivities. You can easily consume the capsules anywhere to help with an upset stomach, travel food poisoning, acid reflux (GERD), and mold detoxification. Alternatively, if you are looking to whiten your teeth then you can simply break open a capsule and brush the powder onto your teeth.
- Made in the USA
- Vegan/Vegetarian friendly
- All natural ingredients
- Convenient for travel
- Use for internal use for excess stomach gas and detoxing programs
- 1200mg per recommended dosage
- Some users found that this product is abrasive on the teeth
- Brand only sells on
3. Active Wow Teeth Whitening Charcoal Powder – Good Charcoal for Teeth Whitening
Active Wow offers one of the best ways to whiten your teeth naturally. These activated charcoal powder is applied to a toothbrush and brushed onto your teeth for near-instant stain removal and whitening over time. This product is uniquely formulated using only the finest quality of coconuts. This product works exceptionally well for removing coffee, wine, and cigarette stains as well as built on plaque. The best part of using Active Wow is that you can whiten your teeth without using bleach or other harsh chemicals that increase tooth sensitivity. This product is extremely easy to use and highly effective.
- Combines other natural teeth whitening ingredients: xylitol, bentonite clay, orange seed oil, sodium bicarbonate, coconut oil.
- Use for teeth whitening and mouth odor control
- Natural flavor taste
- The product is can get messy if you aren’t careful in handling it
- Inconvenient if taking when travelling
- No bulk size available
4. Zen Charcoal Hardwood Activated Charcoal Powder – Good Charcoal For Face Masks
The Zen Charcoal hardwood activated charcoal powder is a step back from the traditional coconut activated charcoal. This product is of great quality and works well to whiten teeth, detoxify the body, make skin soft and smooth, and reduce itching from bug bites. This activated charcoal comes in a rather large size, which is cost effective for long-term use.
- Made in the USA
- Comes with a scoop so you can easily mix for use
- Good for teeth cleaning, skin masks, mixing into a drink to aid detoxing.
- Can be hard to remove from face once mask is rubbed on
- Can be messy to work in your bathroom
5. FineVine Activated Charcoal Powder
Unlike most teeth whitening products, FineVine prides itself on having an all natural product that does not include peroxides or other harsh chemicals. This product is 100% natural and safe to use. Unlike most other activated charcoals, FineVine combines four natural ingredients into a powerful and effective product. This particular powder contains activated coconut charcoal, orange seed oil to improve stain removal, bentonite clay to help fight tooth decay, and peppermint oil for a pleasant flavor and antibacterial cleaner. This safe and effective product works to whiten teeth and eliminate bad breath.
- Combines other natural teeth whitening ingredients: orange seed oil, coconut oil, sodium bicarbonate, mint flavor.
- Made in the USA
- Long-lasting if used for teeth cleaning
- Some users report that they do not taste any mint flavor
- Can be hard to get the black powder off a sink basin
Frequently Asked Questions
I know you were looking for what are the best options, but here is some more detail as to why we need activated charcoal products to help us detox and cleanse in different ways.
How Does Activated Charcoal Work?
Activated charcoal is made of activated carbon that binds to any chemicals or toxins that it comes in contact with. It is often given in hospitals to patients who ingest toxic chemicals and for those who suffer from acute food poisoning. Once it binds to the toxin in your gastrointestinal tract it is then excreted in the stool. (ref)
Other popular uses for activated charcoal include reducing excess intestinal gas, burping, detox protocols for various health conditions, in skincare for acne and spots, and, for oral health to help remove stains form teeth.
What Are the Benefits of Using Activated Charcoal?
Activated charcoal can provide numerous health benefits when consumed internally as directed, or applied externally.
Some of the most common benefits people report experiencing are:
- Reduced bloating and gas: binds to harmful toxins in the stomach to eliminate painful discomfort in digestion.
- Filtrates water: works to trap impurities in water and some fluoride.
- Whitens teeth: it absorbs plaque and works to remove stains from the surface.
- Helps treat alcohol poisoning: helps the body quickly remove harmful toxins from artificial sweeteners and other chemicals that increase alcohol absorption
- Cleans and reduces mold: activated charcoal can be mixed with apple cider vinegar, tea tree oil, and other natural ingredients to clean mold from hard household surfaces. Additionally, it prevents future mold growth in some situations.
- Removes harmful toxins: activated charcoal binds with harmful toxins and chemicals that are ingested to reduce or eliminate chances of death or illness. This is the case with medication overdose.
- Improves skin health: can be applied as a mask or lotion to reduce body odor, acne, and insect bite discomfort. It also works well for poison ivy or oak.
- Cleans the digestive system: helps remove toxins that cause allergic reactions or illness. Can help reduce joint pain and may increase energy and mental alertness.
- Reduces cholesterol: helps decrease LDL while increasing HDL levels in users. (ref)
- Anti-aging: works to prevent cellular damage to liver and kidneys. It works well to improve adrenal gland functions and helps flush major organs in the body.
Is Activated Charcoal Safe?
Yes, activated charcoal is generally believed to be a safe product to consume. It is highly unlikely that activated charcoal ingested in low doses will present any harmful side-effects. However, be advised that although activated charcoal works to eliminate toxins in the body, it will also reduce the effects of other prescription medications when taken at, or around, the same time. There have been no studies looking at the long-term effects of ingesting activated charcoal for several months or years. (ref, ref)
Like any other product, there are some possible side effects you may experience from taking activated charcoal. (ref)
Some of the common side-effects can include:
When taken orally, users may experience:
- Black stool: when consumed, this product can cause darkening or blackening to your stool.
- Black tongue: when used for teeth whitening, some users may experience blackening of the tongue short-term.
- Vomiting/diarrhea: activated charcoal may cause upset stomach in some users resulting in vomiting and/or diarrhea
- Constipation: some users may decrease effectiveness in medication taken for constipation and it may result in constipation due to electrolyte imbalances
Some more serious, but rare side-effects may include:
- Slowing or blockage of intestinal tract
- Can cause food to go up into the lungs
Activated charcoal should not be used or taken by individuals who are pregnant or breastfeeding. Additionally, users who have any types of intestinal obstructions, or a history or this condition, should avoid using this product. (ref)