I was interested to find out what are some of the best nicotinamide riboside supplements for me to review.
Taking a good nicotinamide supplement is thought to help NAD+ energy production in our mitochondria.
So I went out researching online for what are some of the highest rated & most recommended nicotinamide supplement products and brands available to buy online.
- Tru Niagen Nicotinamide Riboside Supplement
- Life Extension NAD+ Cell Regenerator Nicotinamide Riboside Supplement
- Life Extension Optimized NAD+ Cell Regenerator and Resveratrol Supplement
- Thorne Research ResveraCel Nicotinamide Riboside Supplement
- Cytoplan Nicotinamide Riboside Supplement
- Genex Nicotinamide Riboside Supplement
- HPN Nutraceuticals Nicotinamide Riboside Metabolic Repair Supplement
Table of Contents
- The Best Nicotinamide Riboside Supplements in 2020
- 1. Tru Niagen Nicotinamide Riboside
- 2. Life Extension NAD+ Cell Regenerator Nicotinamide Riboside
- 3. Life Extension Optimized NAD+ Cell Regenerator and Resveratrol
- 4. Thorne ResveraCel Nicotinamide Riboside
- 5. Cytoplan Nicotinamide Riboside
- 6. Genex Nicotinamide Riboside
- 7. HPN Nutraceuticals Nicotinamide Riboside Metabolic Repair
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Related Products
The Best Nicotinamide Riboside Supplements in 2020
Here is a list of recommended NAD+ supplements for you to compare.
1. Tru Niagen Nicotinamide Riboside
Tru Niagen uses NIAGEN, the patented NR product owned by ChromaDex,. Dr. Charles Brenner PhD. who discovered nicotinamide riboside can help raise NAD levels in 2004, is on the scientific advisory board. The Tru Niagen website offers a lot of educational insight on the science behind why nicotinamide riboside is important for cellular function. (ref)
- Vegetarian capsules are lightweight and easy to swallow
- Available in different quantity options from single bottle to packs of 2 or 3 bottles and in subscription orders
- Only has to be taken once per day
- Website is full of useful resources, and the about section details every member of their scientific advisory and leadership boards
- Nicotinamide riboside is their only product, which means all of their focus is dedicated to it
2. Life Extension NAD+ Cell Regenerator Nicotinamide Riboside
Life Extension uses NIAGEN® nicotinamide riboside in its NAD+ Cell Regenerator supplement formulation. There are two options with one containing 100 mg and the other 300 mg of NR per capsule. Life Extension is a good option as they are a brand I trust to provide the best dosages and trust their ingredients are what they state on the label. The company has been around for over 35 years and make over 350 different vitamins and supplements. (ref)
- Life Extension is a well-established company with hundreds of supplements available, as well as a lab testing service and magazine
- According to self-implemented customer surveys, 98% of customers recommend their products to friends and family
- Their website is extensive, featuring health education pages, a news section, and a supplement guide
3. Life Extension Optimized NAD+ Cell Regenerator and Resveratrol
The Life Extension Optimized NAD+ Cell Regenerator and Resveratrol formulation also uses NIAGEN® nicotinamide riboside. It contains the bioflavonoid, quercetin, which can help improve the absorption of resveratrol. This Life Extension supplement is a good option for those who want the benefits of taking resveratrol and NR all in one capsule.
4. Thorne ResveraCel Nicotinamide Riboside
The Thorne ResveraCel formulation is another good option for someone wanting one supplement that combines both NR and flavonoids to possibly help enhance sirtuin activity. This product contains 50 mg more resveratrol and 235 mg more quercetin per serving than the Life Extension option. Thorne also use NIAGEN® nicotinamide riboside in their ingredient list. (ref)
- Free of gluten, metallic colorants, soy, eggs, dairy, stearates, BPA, artificial preservatives, high fructose corn syrup, nuts and banned substances
- The company markets that they do four rounds of testing their supplements
- They are cGMP certified in the US and TGA certified in Australia
5. Cytoplan Nicotinamide Riboside
Cytoplan is brand that is only available in the UK. Their NR supplement contains 100 mg of nicotinamide riboside. You may need to order this through an approved Cytoplan practitioner.
6. Genex Nicotinamide Riboside
Genex Formulas is supplement company focused on making anti-aging supplements. They used to sell an NR product, but it appears their NR product is no longer available at the time of review. They still sell nicotinamide mononucleotide and resveratrol, and some of their products are third-party certified. On their website they do have a helpful page that explains the science behind NAD+ and its role in the body, as well as how nicotinamide riboside impacts NAD+ levels. (ref)
7. HPN Nutraceuticals Nicotinamide Riboside Metabolic Repair
HPN Nutraceuticals sells a handful of different supplements, including resveratrol, omega-3 and glucoside. They used to sell an NR product, but it appears their NR product is no longer available at the time of review. (ref)
Frequently Asked Questions
I know you were looking for what are the best options, but here is some more detail as to why we might need nicotinamide riboside products to help us make more NAD+.
What is Nicotinamide Riboside?
Nicotinamide riboside (NR) is a form for vitamin B3 that has been shown to increase levels of nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (a.k.a NAD+).
Nicotinamide riboside is not the same as the other forms of vitamin B3, nicotinic acid (niacin) & nicotinamide.
Here are each of the forms in which vitamin B3 is found:
- Nicotinic acid
- Nicotinamide riboside
The suggested dose for nicotinamide riboside is anywhere from 1 to 200 mg per day. Higher doses have shown minimal adverse effects, but any side effects may be more prominent at higher doses. Users may notice greater differences in energy with higher doses. (ref)
What Are the Benefits of Using Nicotinamide Riboside?
The potential beneficial functions of nicotinamide riboside are as follows:
- Improves muscle function
- Fights cancer and brain diseases like Alzheimer’s
- Protects the brain, liver and mitochondria
- Decreases symptoms of diabetes
- Helps to prevent hearing loss
- Increases metabolism
- Helps with weight loss
- Extends lifespan
- Regulates the circadian rhythm, or sleep cycle
The benefits of supplementing with nicotinamide riboside appear to be numerous. Although some tests have been done, more knowledge is needed to confirm its uses. (ref)
Preclinical trials have shown NAD+ to have anti-aging properties and it helps to generate energy in tissues such as muscle, liver and brain.
Supplementing with a capsule makes it easier to get a more effective dose.
How Does Nicotinamide Riboside Work?
NAD+ is in every living cell in the human body and plays a role in metabolism, DNA repair and cell signalling.
What Is the Science Behind Nicotinamide Riboside?
The reason nicotinamide riboside is so beneficial is that it is converted into NAD+ in the body. NAD+ is important for energy, mitochondria and the sleep cycle. (ref)
It also activates the following:
- Sirtuins, which are anti-aging enzymes
- PARPs, which are involved in DNA repair
- CD38, which plays a role in insulin production
What Are the Natural Food Sources of Nicotinamide Riboside?
Nicotinamide riboside is found in:
- Cow’s milk
- Whey protein
- Brewer’s yeast
Is Nicotinamide Riboside Safe?
Nicotinamide riboside is a naturally occurring form of vitamin B3 and is considered very safe. Even at exceptionally high doses, there is no risk of death. The only precaution is for athletes, as higher doses may negatively affect exercise performance.
Basically, all dosages are considered safe, although most nicotinamide riboside supplements have not been approved by the FDA and should be taken with caution and only after consulting with a physician.
Possible Side Effects
There is no human evidence to show any side effects from taking nicotinamide riboside; however, in animal tests, there may be a decrease in physical performance.
If this applies to humans as well, which we don’t currently know, it is only relevant for athletes or people concerned with athletic performance. Even at high doses up to 5000 mg, there is no risk of overdose or death and only minimal adverse effects have been seen once the dose is increased to 300 mg or higher. (ref)
- CoQ10 Supplements
- NMN Supplements
- Oxaloacetate Supplements
- Resveratrol supplements to buy
- Krill Oil Supplements to Buy
- Fish Oil Supplements to Buy
- Vegan Omega Oil Supplements to Buy
- Potassium Supplements
- Magnesium Supplements
- Grass Fed Whey Protein Powders
- MCT Oils for Keto
- Activated Charcoals for Gas