The best ghee brands made from grass fed dairy are:
For people who are sensitive to lactose or casein using a clarified butter like ghee is a good alternative to regular butter.
I was interested to find out what are some of the best ghee butters to use for me to review.
So, I went out looking for what are the top rated & most recommended brands who make grass-fed ghee products that are available to buy online.
The Best Grass-fed Ghee Brands in 2023
Here is the list of recommended ghee products made from grassfed cows milk we reviewed for you to compare.
1. Ancient Organics Organic Ghee
Ancient Organics makes 100% organic ghee from grass-fed cows. This product is hand-crafted using an open flame. The ghee itself is made in small batches, guaranteeing freshness and flavor. Each 32-ounce jar is specially crafted to have a longer shelf life, ensuring freshness at every use. The quality of Ancient Organics products is unmatched due to its long and slow clarification process. This company is extremely proud of their product, promoting the ghee to be one of the highest sources of CLA due to the use of the highest quality organic butter. This tasty ghee has a delightful aroma and leaves no unpleasant aftertaste.
- Excellent source of vitamins, omega acids, and CLA
- USDA, CCOF, and Kosher certified
- Lactose and casein free
- Gluten free
- 100% organic
- Some users report difference in consistency between jars, but this is probably because it is a natural product.
- The aroma of ghee can be too strong for some individuals.
2. Bulletproof Grass-Fed Ghee
This Bulletproof ghee is produced using traditional Ayurvedic methods. This involves using an open flame to slowly heat the butter, then carefully removing the milk solids and moisture. This process leaves you with a buttery tasting ghee that has a naturally rich, buttery flavor that works wonders at enhancing foods and drinks. The high smoke point of 485 degrees Fahrenheit (252 °C) makes it one of the best options for cooking while maintaining all of the vitamins and minerals it contains. According to Ayurvedic medicine, ghee works to help protect your body against inflammation, cancer, osteoporosis, and digestive issues. Bulletproof ghee makes an excellent topping over meats and vegetables, and it works well as a substitute for butter in coffee and baked goods.
- Bulletproof ghee is an excellent source of vitamins, minerals, and acids geared to protect your body, improve digestion, and help you lose weight.
- The buttery rich flavor is delicious.
- Sugar and gluten-free product.
- This product is all natural and non-GMO.
- Contains Omega 3 and 8, Vitamins A, D, E, and K
- Made from grass-fed cows’ milk.
- No large size available.
- Not certified organic.
3. Viva Naturals Organic Ghee
Viva Naturals ghee is certified organic ghee, made from grassfed cows’ milk. This ghee is created using an ancient Indian technique called Ayurvedic, where it is simmered and separated over an open flame. The dedication put into making this product is evident in the creamy butter flavor, described as a delicious nutty, caramalized flavor. Ghee from Viva Naturals is gluten-free and can be incorporated into Paleo diets. This product is made with only the purest butterfat imaginable, with a silky smooth texture that is perfect for toast, muffins, vegetables, and more. There are less than 2.5 ppm of casein in this product, making it an excellent option for individuals who are sensitive to casein and dairy products.
- Product can change from a liquid to a solid, indicating the purity of the ghee.
- An excellent source of vitamins to help keep the body strong.
- Certified organic product and made in the USA.
- This ghee is grain and lactose free.
- Some user report that this ghee has more of a liquid consistency.
- Some users have reported a gritty texture at times.
4. Pure Indian Foods Grass Fed Organic Ghee
Pure Indian Foods offers one of the most popular brands of Ghee on the market. This product is the first Whole30® certified ghee and it is USDA certified organic. Pure Indian Foods is a family owned business that dates back to 1889 known for gourmet quality products. This ghee does not include any preservatives, trans fats, dyes, salts, or any other additives. This ghee is made only from non-homogenized milk using traditional methods for simmering and separating the milk solids from butterfat. This ghee is only made between the springtime and fall each year, allowing the cows adequate time to consume a healthy diet between seasons.
- Quality product created by a fifth-generation family owned business.
- This ghee does not contain any unnatural ingredients.
- Makes an excellent substitution for any recipe or cooking method that calls for butter or oil.
- Great for individuals with lactose intolerance and casein allergies.
- Ghee has a different smell to butter, which can be off-putting to some.
- Comes in various textures, which is due to its natural processing, but some individuals do not like gritty textures.
5. Vital Ghee Brand Grass Fed Organic Ghee
The clarified butter ghee by Vital Ghee is backed with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. This product is made with some of the highest qualities organic and unsalted grassfed butter. Packed with vitamins A,E, and K, as well as omega-3 and omega-9, this product is recommended by alternative doctors and Ayurveda health professionals to individuals for healthier digestion. Vital Ghee is made over a low flame, cooking for several hours in a ghee pot in order to achieve the highest quality results. This ghee tastes great over popcorn, vegetables, meat, and various other foods and drinks. Vital ghee brand ghee helps individuals manage carbs and insulin levels, while providing relief from digestive issues.
- Works very well as oil and butter substitute.
- A proven excellent source of vitamins and nutrients.
- A flavorful option with no lasting aftertaste.
- Not certified organic.
- No large bottle size option.
6. Fourth & Heart Ghee
Fourth and Heart is a Keto Certified brand that offers 100% organic grass fed ghee with the butter sourced from New Zealand, which adheres to struct dairy food standards. This ghee brand is a good option for someone looking for different flavored ghees like the popular Vanilla Bean ghee which people love to use in Bulletproof Coffee.
- Good selection of flavor options
- Keto Certified product
- Ghee oil option
- Single serve travel pack options
7. Gold Nugget Ghee
- California grass-fed butter source
- USDA Organic certified
- Ghee oil option
- Single serve travel pack options
Gold Nugget Ghee makes their ghee in California from local sourced orgnic certified grass-fed butter. Other than the regular traditional ghee option the brand provides interesting flavor options outside of with flovors like: chocolate honey, lavender vanilla, Utah salt and more. We like the local sourcing that Gold Nugget Ghee appears to strive for.
Ghee Buyers Guide
I know you were looking for what are the best options, but here is some more detail as to why grass-fed ghee is so good for us.
What is Ghee?
Ghee is a traditional clarified butter. Ghee is made when butter is heated up. The melted butter separates into two different parts, a liquid and a solid. The milk solids float up to the top with the liquid butterfat below. Once these milk solids are removed, you are left with the clarified butter which is called Ghee.
Benefits of Ghee
Aside from its yummy taste and good heat tolerance for cooking, ghee is commonly chosen by others due to the following benefits it provides:
- High smoke point. Ghee is able to be heated up to 478 degrees, compared to 350 degrees Fahrenheit with butter, giving it the ability to bake, sauté, and roast reliably without losing some of the key nutrients it contains.
- Lactose and Casein free. This product is safe for individuals with milk allergies. Major caseins and lactose elements are removed through skimming and straining, making ghee an exceptional option for individuals who are sensitive to them.
- Full of Fat-Soluble vitamins. Ghee is an excellent way to obtain extra fat-soluble vitamins. These vitamins can help boost your Vitamin A, E, and K intakes, which are all key components in healthy vision and skin. Additionally, ghee can help individuals with IBS, Crohn’s, or leaky gut syndrome absorb fat-soluble vitamins better to meet their daily goal.
- Full of conjugated linoleic acid. CLA is a fatty acid packed with health benefits. CLA is found in studies to prevent cancer formation, lower blood pressure, aid in weight loss, and lessen inflammation.
- Bursting with flavor. Ghee tastes like a more flavorful butter. By straining and simmering out the imperfections, ghee’s flavor is satisfyingly intensified. Due to its strong flavor, you will be able to use less of this product than you would with butter or oil.
- Improves bone strength. Loaded with K2, ghee helps the body better utilize calcium, protecting you against tooth decay, atherosclerosis, and bone weakness.
- Full of Butyrate. Ghee is an excellent source of butyric acid, which plays a key role in gut health. This acid helps promote healthy gut microbiome and provides energy to colon cells.
- Helps with weight loss. Ghee works like coconut oil to promote weight loss by burning other fats within our system. Ghee works to attract fats within the body and remove stubborn toxins.
- Helps digestion. The butyrate in ghee helps individuals maintain optimal digestive health. Individuals who consume ghee benefit from a stronger gut barrier function. Additionally, individuals see relief from constipation.
When To Use Ghee vs Butter?
Ghee has a higher smoke point, allowing it to hold the flavor and nutrients even at higher temperatures.
Butter has a smoke point of 350 degrees Fahrenheit, so it loses a lot of nutritional value early on.
Calorie and Fat Intake Macros
Both ghee and butter have similar nutritional profiles, so either would be excellent when used in moderation.
Ghee is a better option due to having virtually no casein and lactose.
Butter is a dairy product, so lactose and casein sensitive individuals should not use this product.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is Ghee Made From?
Ghee is made from the of butter dairy cows milk.
Do I Need to Refrigerate Ghee?
No, you do not need to put ghee in the refrigerator.
Can I Put Ghee on Toast?
Yes, you can put ghee on toast and it will taste similar to butter.
- Potassium Supplements When on Keto
- Magnesium Supplements When on Keto
- Grass Fed Whey Protein Powders
- Low Carb Protein Powders
- Blenders for Butter Coffee
- Low Carb Coffee Creamers
- Meters to Measure Ketones
- MCT Oils for Keto
- Keto Protein Bars
- Beef Sticks for Ketogenic Diet
- Keto Meal Replacement Shakes
- Bone Broth for Gut Health